Wines to hold their own against any varietal
Three things need to be in place to create a sustainable culture of Pinotage acceptance and enjoyment around the world:
- the grapes need to be grown and harvested under the best possible conditions;
- the cellar treatment must be focused on extracting the optimum performance from the grape; and
- there must be an ongoing programme of promotion and education to create a corps of Pinotage-philes which will maintain and extend the Pinotage culture around the wine-drinking globe.
The Pinotage Association has, through the following aims, accepted responsibility to maintain South Africa's leading role in the production of quality Pinotage wines:
to increase the knowledge of its members on all aspects regarding the viticulture and vinification of Pinotage grapes and the production of Pinotage wines;
- to serve as a forum for exchanging ideas on the production and marketing of Pinotage wines;
- to identify problem areas in the growing of Pinotage grapes and the production of Pinotage wines; and
- to prioritise research needs regarding Pinotage.